Electric smoker vs pellet smoker review
Updated 19-02-2021 – Dan Alvazrez
If you’re just getting into smokers, choosing the right one for you could prove to be a tough task. You might’ve even narrowed it down towards an electric smoker vs pellet smoker, but what are the differences between the two? Read on and we’ll get down to why you might want to choose one over the other.
Pros of Electric Smoker
- Firstly, electric smokers are essentially one of the easiest to use. Their ease of use is unrivaled by any other smoker. All you need to do is turn on the switch and it is ready to go.
- Electric smokers are precise. Select a temperature and your smoker will maintain the temperature. If you don’t want to pay much attention to the meat then an electric smoker is the way to go.
- You can use an electric smoker inside the house without worrying about the smoking detector going off.
- Lastly, electric smokers are easy to clean and maintain.
Cons of Electric Smoker
- People might argue that electric smoker cooks delicious food, and yes, it does. However, it is very difficult to get a true smoke-enriched flavor with an electric smoker.
Pros of Pellet Smoker
- Pellet smokers are designed with convenience in mind but without too much sacrifice of flavor. Unlike an electric smoker, when cooking with a pellet smoker, the meat gets wrapped in the smoke. And the end product has a smoky flavor that reminds you of restaurant-level steaks.
- Pellet smokers offer a very wide temperature range. Some of them can even heat up to 1000 degrees. With a temperature this high, you can cook any type of meat quickly.
- Versatility is also a key reason as they can be used for more than just smoke. They’ll provide a smoky flavor without the need to keep watch over the flames.
Cons of Pellet Smokers
- Most high-quality pellet smokers are huge and hard to move around. So, if you were planning to take one on your next camping trip then it’s time to say goodbye to that idea.
Pellet smokers, just like electric smokers are precise. You can set the temperature and forget about it. However, there’s a catch. These set and forget pellet smokers means the smoker will auto-feed more pellets when needed. However, if the hopper capacity is small then you would need to refill it after every few hours which is not convenient.
Is an electric smoker better than a pellet smoker?
Whether an electric smoker is better than a pellet smoker depends on your needs. To give you a definite answer, no single smoker is better than the other. They all have a purpose to serve and their worth varies from user to user. That being said, convenience is an issue that is on top of the list for both of these smokers. The electric smoker, however, puts ease of use at a higher level. All you need to do is press set a few settings and let it cook. Regardless of the taste, you’ll find that convenience might be worth more to you than someone else.
Is an electric smoker worth it?
When it comes to choosing an electric smoker, you have to weigh the advantages it would bring to your cooking experience. The electric smoker is not a one-dimensional cooking appliance. You can do more than just smoke meat in there. Temperature control is great in electric smokers so you can smoke just about anything in there whether it be salmon, cheese, or nuts. The best part about electric smokers? Their portability is unrivaled compared to others. They usually come in dimensions no bigger than your standard mini-fridge. If convenience and versatility are your concern, the electric smoker is nothing to scoff at. It provides a big punch in a small package.
Do pellet smokers make enough smoke?
One of the main reasons pellet smokers are bought is because of the promise of convenience without much sacrifice in flavor, but how true is this promise? As some online reviews have expressed, a pellet smoker sometimes just doesn’t provide a rich smoky flavor that other smokers would. Will that be a deal-breaker? For some yes, but for others, there just might be a solution for them. If you’ve made your choice and decided that you don’t want to risk getting a less than ideal smoky flavor, consider getting a smoke tub to aid in delivering that rich smokiness you crave. However, if that still doesn’t do it for you, other types of smokers will probably serve you better.
Is electric or wood smoker better?
The answer to this question will vary from person to person. Depending on who you ask, some might care about flavor over convenience while others will care more about convenience over flavor.
To put this in perspective, what are some of the cooking that you already do regularly? If you regularly cook and want something to aid you without having to watch over too much, an electric smoker would probably suit you best. It offers portability, cooking versatility, and convenience with something as simple as messing with a few settings. A wood smoker, on the other hand, would require just a tiny bit more work to provide you with a rich smoky flavor that you probably crave. As far as portability goes, you might not get away with having it in an apartment and they aren’t too easy to move around. They also offer cooking versatility, however, and you can do much more than just smoke.
The choice between an electric smoker vs a pellet smoker comes down to personal needs as well as the area you live in. If you live in an apartment, you’re most likely going to be stuck with an electric smoker. Should you live in a more open area, however, a pellet smoker will probably catch your eye much more than an electric one will. Regardless of your choice, you won’t be disappointed as they provide a wide range of use if they don’t hit that ideal smoky flavor you want.
Best Pellet Smokers in Updated - Pellet Smokers or Pellet Grills are a combination of a smoker and a grill. They are powered using wooden pellets which are small compressed hardwood sawdust. These...
10 Best Weber Grills in Updated 11/27/2020 Best Weber Grill Since George Steven's 1952 revolutionary closed cooking grill invention, the Weber brand keeps getting popular in the world of grilling. What...
10 Best Tabletop Grills in Updated 08/01/2020 Best Tabletop Grill Whether you are a lover of outdoor cooking, an avid camper or you are looking to maximizing your cooking space, the tabletop gas grill is...
10 Best Smokers in Updated 05/29/2020 If you are a lover of smoked food, steak or BBQ, then you need a smoker or grill. Numerous smokers and grills abound on the market. However, it is easy to get fooled by unscrupulous manufacturers who have...
10 Best Smoker Grills in Updated 11/29/2020 Best Smoker Grill Smoker grills feature a smoking chamber that is located beside the heat source. This makes them different from conventional smokers or grills...
8 Best Propane Grills in Updated 04/04/2020 Best Propane Grill Every lover of BBQ, grilled meat, or steak should own a grill. If you want the natural flavor of the meat to remain after searing, then you...